Why your skin needs Hyaluronic Acid – The Fountain of Youth
You have all seen the ad where the woman scrapes her nail over her skin and it’s so dry, it leaves a trail of flaky skin. It looks ugly, but even worse, it can be itchy and extra sensitive. Ever accidentally spilt a few drops of lemon juice on your hands and it actually stung and burned your skin?
In extreme weather conditions, like winter, the rate of cell renewal slows down dramatically. The reason for this is that the skin is trying to protect itself against the extreme cold and wind by actually thickening up. Thicker skin is not the problem, but when the skin becomes dull and less vibrant, your overall complexion can end up looking dull and sallow.
Hyaluronic Acid is a Natural Component of the Skin
Hyaluronic Acid is an amazing ingredient and has been called “the key to the fountain of youth” as it can hold 1000 times it’s own weight in water. Think of it as a super absorbing sponge that can hold more water than it’s own weight, then releasing that water into your skin.
Hyaluronic acid is a jelly-like substance found in great abundance in young skin and also in other tissues in both humans and animals. It occurs naturally in the deeper layers of the skin, cartilage, joints and the fluid surrounding the eyes.
However, as with most things, it’s concentration reduces as you age. I know it’s not fair, but it is estimated that if you are over 50 years old, you have less than half the hyaluronic acid you had in your youth!
Premature aging also occurs through exposure to environmental factors such as sunlight and pollutants, which cause the body’s natural store of hyaluronic acid to be degraded and destroyed. The result is a loss of elasticity in the skin and we all know that means the appearance of wrinkles.
But don’t stress too much, there is a solution…
By using skin care products with Hyaluronic Acid (also called Hyaluronan) you can help your skin replace some of what it has lost.
Q: What makes Hyaluronic Acid so Special?
Answer: It plays an extremely vital part in fighting the ageing process!
Hyaluronic acid plays several important roles in your skin:
- It helps to transport essential nutrients from your bloodstream to living skin cells
- It hydrates your skin by holding in water
- It acts as a cushioning and lubricating agent against mechanical and chemical damage, so it’s important to protect the cells against damage.
Benefits of Hyaluronic Acid to Your Skin:
- Boosts moisture content of the skin as it binds water; it is a very efficient moisturiser
- Reduces dryness, itching and burning
- Offers an excellent environment for the growth of new cells and healing damaged cells
- Effective in the treatment of lines and wrinkles
- Improves skin smoothness and texture
- Helps Vitamin C to penetrate effectively
- Protective, structure stabilizing and shock-absorbing role in the skin.
Why your skin needs Hyaluronic Acid
In a nutshell Hyaluronic acid hydrates and lubricates your cell tissues – restoring elasticity, it keeps the surface of your skin hydrated, supple and less prone to wrinkling!